Serves: approx. 6-8
Preparation & cooking: 60mins+
Macarons are the delicious morsels that everyone loves. You now make them as well. Check out this recipe Miss Sallie uses this recipe in her macaron workshops. It is pretty easy to make but there a few tricks to getting the best results.
Ingredients for the macaron biscuits
300g Almond meal
300g Icing Sugar
110g Egg Whites
Plus desired colour
110g Egg Whites
Method for macaron biscuits
- Preheat oven to 140C
- Prepare a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a bowl combine the icing sugar and almond meal and process in food processor.
- Place 110g egg whites into bowl and add colour as desired.
- Place 150gms of egg whites in a mixing bowl.
- Start cooking the sugar and water together until it reaches 118c on a thermometer.
- Meanwhile start beating the egg whites til they are stiff when the sugar has reached 118c turn the egg down a little then slowly pour the cooked sugar syrup onto the egg whites, continue beating until the egg whites look brilliant and have cooled in the mixing bowl.
- Incorporate the coloured egg whites into the dry ingredients. Using a spatula add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently incorporate by folding gently the preparation onto itself and taking all of the air out, the batter should be shiny and form a Ribbon when pouring off the spatula.
- Using a piping bag and nozzle size 10 put the macaron mix into the bag and pipe onto a prepare tray the macarons should ideally be 3cms wide. Pipe in alternate rows and leave the macarons to “crust up” at room temp. (Depending on the place and season this could take anywhere from 15 mins to and an hour. Or maybe never!)
- Then cook them between 10 and 20 mins (depending on your oven ) half way through the cooking process open the oven door for a few seconds and close again to allow hot air to escape.
- The macarons are cook when they no longer stick to the baking paper.
- Garnish as desired.